Take a deep breath and think about it.

I used to call myself "little Miss Cranky-Pants". Over the last few years, I've change my outlook on life and am happier than before, but still working on my issues (aren't we all?) This is where I display and comment on the views of today, funny posts and constant chronicles of my annoying weight loss.

Friday, March 17, 2006

People

I don't really like people. I never really understood why, I just don't. Recently, it has been brought to my attention that I have a keen ability to understand people, at times even better than they understand themselves. I never really thought much about this, I just thought I could easily see through bullshit. Probably because I was such an ace bullshitter myself, so it takes one to know one.

Maybe that is the problem. I know people. Not the front they put up for the world, or as Chris Rock says "their representative". I tend to see the person they try to hide. Sometimes, that is a good thing. I know a few people who really don't know how great they are, but I know it. Then off course, there is when it is a bad thing. I can see how a seemingly charming person is in reality a petty and hurtful person when no one else even suspects it. It is very frustrating, to know these things and have no one believe it. You just try telling someone that you know them better than they know themself. It isn't pretty. They call you egotistical, self-important, delusional, pathetic and a variety of other colorful names.

Seeing people in this way, I have discovered that more people tend to be rude, stupid, arrogant and self-absorbed than they do nice and personable. I believe that this is why I dislike most people. I see the bad more often than the good, and it's jaded me. It's sad really, that my instinct is to assume the worst, just because I have seen it so often. I suppose that is why when I really DO find honest-to-goodness people that are genuinely nice with no pretense or ulterior motives, I try to "keep" them. Stay friends, talk to them all I can. Learn from them and appreciate them, because they are rare.

I am generally considered a hermit. A curmudgeon, whose only contact with other living creatures is my dog or other animals that I love to spend time with. I no longer think it is because I am surly, I think it is because I don't like what I see in most people, and I only bother to spend my time with those that I like.

Animals are a blog for another time, they deserve a spotlight of their own :)

1 Comments:

  • At 12:07 PM, Blogger Dennis said…

    Very Well Written Question to ponder: you say "It's sad really, that my instinct is to assume the worst, just because I have seen it so often" Does this "instinct" ever interfere with your abbility to see how a person might really be?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home